Saturday, June 6, 2015

Day 6: Breathing

Before Michelle was born Beth and I took some birthing classes to prepare us for her birth. One of the things about which the teacher continually reminded us was breathing. Beth was to practice deep breathing and my job was to coach her. When the time to deliver arrived, things went much faster than anyone expected and when I tried to coach her and remind her about breathing, let's just say that it wasn't well received at that point. The thought was there but the execution wasn't because of the pain.

I have become more aware of the importance of breathing with the diaphragm and not the upper chest as I have practiced contemplative prayer. Breathing properly is important for singers, and for maximizing oxygen intake for strenuous athletic endeavors. Spirit-breath, the term that Levison uses in his book has helped me in my spiritual life. Jesus breathing on, or "into" as Levison notes, alerts me to God's ever present nearness. Sometimes when I become aware of my breathing I am reminded of the Spirit's closeness, and how dependent I am on the Spirit.

How about you? Does Levison's devotion this morning on Spirit-breath have any impact on you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment