Friday, June 12, 2015

Day 12: Abba! Father!

For me personally understanding that I am an adopted child of God has had a powerful impact on my own faith and life. When I was younger, even thought I intellectually believed that I was loved by God and saved by grace, the way I actually lived my life was one of working and earning. Yes, I prayed to God as Father, but honestly my attitude and actions belied that I really believed that God loved me like a parent loves a child.

But slowly over time, I began to understand and accept this reality--that I am God's beloved, adopted child. Actually, I came to this realization through reading Henri Nouwen's books in my late 30's and early 40's. I find this enormously comforting and hopeful as I live the Christian life in my own faltering way.

How about you? Do you talk a good game like I did when I was younger about God's love, but in reality do you live as though you are a slave, or at least not a beloved child?

I really liked Levison's prayer at the end of this devotion which ends with:

Holy Spirit
I'm not asking you to cause death or life to disappear
But to hearten me with the love of Christ
with a love for Christ.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment