Friday, June 19, 2015

Day 19: Spirit and Truth

"God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship him in spirit and truth." I am quite familiar with this verse from John and, in fact, have included it in prayers that I have said in regard to preparing to worship. But I haven't reflected deeply on the relationship between Spirit and truth. I underlined the few sentences where he discussed their relationship: "There can be no Spirit-inspired worship that is untruthful, no truthful worship that is void of Spirit. the two exist in tandem; the absence of one voids the validity of the other. Truth and Spirit. Spirit and Truth."

I have read in the last couple of years that people don't care so much about the truth, at least in so far as it relates to our faith. When I was younger people came to faith in Christ because they believed it was true. Now, the issue isn't truth but relevance or effectiveness, i.e. does it work? Even though it is so un-postmodern, I believe there is such a thing as truth and falsehood, and I want to pursue the truth wherever it may lead me. I remember learning in seminary about the "brokenness of truth." That means that because of sin and our own finite abilities, there are a lot of weeds in the garden and it is difficult to know what the truth is. For this reason we must pursue it with humility for sure, but not give up on its pursuit saying, "No one can know for sure, everyone has their own truth."

Spirit and truth, as Levison states, exist in tandem!

No comments:

Post a Comment