Friday, June 26, 2015

Day 26: Not by might, nor by Power...

Levison chooses another familiar passage for today's meditation. I can't identify with his sense in his younger days that he didn't believe that the Spirit works through politics and social programs. Maybe I believed that when I was really young, I don't remember, to be honest. But I did learn in my 20's the notion of the "brokenness of truth" and "general grace" which gave me the theological and intellectual space to understand that the Spirit works in a wide variety of ways, through a wide variety of people, and the people through whom God works don't need to be believers--frequently they aren't.

I didn't know that Martin Luther King, Jr.'s famous speech happened under the banner of the text. I do enjoy the stories and '"tidbits" that he shares in his devotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment