Monday, June 22, 2015

Day 22: Weakness and Power

This particular devotion spoke to me and my own struggles. I can totally identify with Levison when he says, "I don't want grace; I want healing. I don't want weakness; I want strength. I want power that looks, well, like power." I want to feel powerful, not weak! I hate feeling weak. I want God to come in and right all the wrongs and crush the evil and empower the good. I want God to prevent Dylann Storm Roof from carrying out the murders at Emmanuel AME in Charleston! And to do it with power, like a lightening bolt from heaven!

During my devotions several days ago I came across the following quotation form Thomas a Kempis:

Jesus has many lovers of His heavenly kingdom, but few bearers of His cross. He has many seekers of consolation, but few of tribulation. He finds many companions at His feasting, but few at His fasting. All desire to rejoice in Him; Few are willing to endure anything for Him. Many follow Jesus as far as the breaking of bread, but few to the drinking of the cup of His passion. Many reverence His miracles, but few will follow the shame of His cross. Many love Jesus as long as no adversaries befall them. Many praise and bless Him so long as they receive some consolation from Him. But if Jesus hide Himself and leave them but for a brief time, they begin to complain or become overly despondent in mind."

May the Holy Spirit give us the grace to follow the way of the cross!

No comments:

Post a Comment