Thursday, June 4, 2015

Day 4: Be Still

I wasn't a squirmy kid like Levison, so I have never had a problem with Psalm 46:10, "Be still, and know that I am God." I looked up the word, "still," in the dictionary and found that the adjective definition is "not moving or making a  sound,' and the definition for the noun form is "deep silence and calm." I like the noun definition a lot and love to experience deep silence and calm in God's presence.

Nevertheless, I was intrigued by the Hebrew word that we translate "still" being defined as "let go, abandon." I am more ambivalent about "abandon" because the first connotation for me is to "be abandoned" which I don't like or want to experience. However, when I think of it as "abandoning myself into the arms of God," I draw comfort and hope.

Once again, Levison helps us see the work of the Spirit from a different angle. The Spirit works quietly behind the scenes over a long period of time or in his words, "the Spirit is a reservoir of wisdom that suffuses Daniel's character over the course of three generations and two empires."

No comments:

Post a Comment