Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Day 17: Drilling Down

It is hard to imagine that the text for today's devotion has anything relevant to anything, much less the Holy Spirit. Yes, the text does mention that the Spirit came upon Amasai or in Levison's translation "clothed" Amasai." But, really could this text contain anything from which we could learn?

Apparently. I enjoyed the way that Levison "drilled down" into the text and came up with a gold nugget. I am impressed that he was able to make the connections Amasai and Nabal. I have read the story a number of time's but never came close to making this connection. To me the passage was one of those lists that I try to race through to get to more action!

I find it interesting that the Spirit clothes Amasai to recite some poetry to David. When I think about it, it makes sense since David was a poet. I also found one of Levison's take aways interesting: "The Spirit works through a person who knows history." So the Spirit is able to use our knowledge of history...

No comments:

Post a Comment