Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Day 3: Not What I Expected

I wasn't really sure where he was going in today's devotion. The passage from Job certainly isn't one that I would have thought about for a devotion on the Holy Spirit. Frankly, I never really understood Elihu and where he was coming from until I read this devotion. But it didn't seem all that relevant until the last two paragraphs. And what he says cuts against the grain of commonly held notions of how the Holy Spirit works. Being overwhelmed and feeling out of control are commonly associated with the Holy Spirit, I think, not quietly reflecting and thoughtfully speaking. I liked his closing sentence: "A lesson hard learned, held deep within, then divulged in a whisper--this too is the sound of Spirit-breath." Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment