Sunday, March 15, 2015

Two for One

We headed for church this morning a few minutes before 10:00 am and arrived  few minutes later--the church is not far from Fulukas' and Miriam's house. Their church is named the "Solid Rock Pentecostal Church." See the picture from the outside of the building below.



Below is a picture of the pastor of the church and myself after the service.



If you remember from my last post, he invited me to preach at the Sunday service. He, in fact, said "main" preacher. Last summer when I was there I was introduced to the congregation and invited to say something. This time he wanted a sermon, so as it turns out, there were two "main" sermons: his and mine.

I was surprised that there was almost no singing at the beginning of the service because my experience of worshiping at Pentecostal services is that there is a lot of singing, sometimes more than an hour at the beginning of the service. After a welcome and some prayers, the pastor started preaching on David and Goliath from I Samuel and in a lively manner preached for 45 minutes. Everything was translated during the service and different people were used to do the translation. I am always amazed at the fluidity of the translation. Sometimes the pastor would speak in English and the translator into the local language, and without warning the pastor would switch into the local language and the translator without skipping a beat would speak English.

After he finished, there were a group of people that did a drama which the congregation found hilarious. It was after the small play that the singing began and it went for quite a while. I was then introduced and I preached with a translator for 45 minutes (that is about the minimum amount of time for preaching a respectable pentecostal sermon). There was a little singing after I was finished and the service ended. In all it lasted approximately 3 1/2 hours. See the pictures below.





Worship was joyful and full of energy. They didn't seem to mind that they were getting two sermons in one worship service, and I could tell that they were attentive to my message. 

I spent the afternoon with Fulukas and Miriam and we headed for the Imperial Royale Hotel where the group is staying in Kampala. I met up with Joan and Michelle and the folks  from the other church from Midland, MI who are sharing this Vision Trip with us.

Tomorrow we head for the national headquarters for WVU to share in morning worship at 8:00 pm and we will head out for Gulu around 11:00 am and should arrive in Gulu between 4:00  pm and 5:00 pm.


2 comments:

  1. I tried to make a biblical case to for wives as equal marriage partners. It's hard to know, of course, what people think, but the pastor was positive about it and another husband thanked me for the message as well. Needless to say, the women liked it.

    ReplyDelete