Saturday, March 14, 2015

Surprise, Surprise

Miriam picked me up at the hotel yesterday around 11:00 am and we headed for Kampala and then Wakiso where she and Fulukas live. Wakiso is about 10 miles northwest of Kamapala. We were about halfway between Entebbe and Kampala when a convoy of about 10 vehicles were moving rapidly in the opposite direction. Miriam was driving slowly on the shoulder and then some police pulled her over and were extremely agitated. The president of Uganda was in the convoy, and apparently when you pass a convoy for him, you are supposed to pull off the road and stop no matter what direction your are traveling. (I don't think Miriam knew this). When they pulled us over, they were very angry at Miriam and said they were going to charge her, that she was going to court and some other threats. I thought that we were in big trouble.  She calmly told me that she would talk with them and it would be OK and got out of the car. They were arguing and threatening her with prison. At one point the angriest of officers came to my window and told me they were going to charge her and she would have to go to court. I calmly told him that she had just picked me up and I don't think she knew she was supposed to get off the road. I am not sure if he was thinking that he might get a bribe from me. He didn't say anything and walked back. She came back to the car to get her driver's license and when I asked her what was going on, she said that they wanted a bribe and she wasn't going to give a bribe. She went back to talk with them and about 10 minutes later she came back with a smile and we went on our way. She said that she doesn't pay bribes and she wasn't going to pay one. What a gutsy lady--I was impressed!

We made it to Kampala where we went to the highest point in Kampala where the Anglican Cathedral is located. It was nice and cool there but I didn't have a really clear view of the city. I was planning on taking a picture, but it wasn't good enough to post. However, below is a picture of the cathedral, which was beautiful.



We arrived at their home in Wakiso around 4:00 pm. I will be staying her for two nights. Below is a picture of the back of their house.



They have a wonderful view from the patio where I am typing this post to my blog and every once in a while look up to enjoy the view.



Last night there were eight couples from a church group that were meeting and I was the guest speaker. Miriam told me about this when I talked with her Thursday night by phone. I thought she wanted me to do this Saturday night, but it turns out it was last night. So we arrived at a restaurant nearby and we sat at some tables outside. Couples introduced themselves and after all of the introductions I was asked to speak. I spoke about 30 minutes after which we ate. There was a lot of conversation and a lot of laughter. The couples were clearly enjoying themselves and were engaged in my topic, the 5 Languages of Love. I think we broke up around 10:00 pm

The pastor of their church and his wife were one of the couples. He asked me if I would be the main preacher at church on Sunday. In all honesty, I would rather not preach ( I was hoping for a break), but it was an offer that I couldn't refuse. I need to preach for at least 45 minutes, but someone will be translating for me and that will take up some time. :-)

1 comment:

  1. You're helping so many people already with advice on marriage communication!

    I know you're not used to preaching for 45 minutes, but I'm sure God filled you with His Spirit.

    ReplyDelete