Thursday, March 19, 2015

Overwhelmed

I don't even know where to begin. This was the best day that I have spent in Uganda since I first traveled here in 2008. We spent 7 hours at St. Thomas Moore that defies words. It's late and I am still trying to process what happened so I will share just briefly and post blogs about our experience when I return. Let me summarize what we received from the school: one chicken, one goat, one large container of honey in the honeycomb, two poems, a beautiful picture by the art instructor, and had one song dedicated to us. There was a lot of singing, dancing, speech-making, and laughing. I even played some volleyball and didn't do too badly for an old guy. We had a ground-breaking ceremony for the new library. I also was given a Ugandan name by Harriet, the project manager of the Koro-Bobi ADP. My Ugandan name is Omara, which means "He loves." I will post a few pictures to give you a little taste of what we experienced. Joan and Michelle feel as overwhelmed as I do. We are going to have time to process it on our trip to Entebbe tomorrow.

Below is a picture of Todo Alex and his wife, Joy. This was the first time that I met her. I think it was Alex and Joy who gave us the goat. They intended for us to eat it for breakfast. I asked Harriet, the Program Manager for Koro-Bobi, to give the goat to a needy family. They are going to give it to one of Beth's and my sponsored children, Brenda.




The picture below is the sign we unveiled at the ground breaking for the library.





As you can see, Joan handles a mean pick. I was afraid that Michelle was going to hit someone in the head with hers!




Two of our gifts...





Tomorrow I don't think I will be able to blog, so there may be a 2 day gap before I can blog again about our visit to St. Thomas Moore.









No comments:

Post a Comment