Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Gulu and Koro-Bobi ADP

I have had problems with connecting with the internet the last two days and haven't been able to blog. We are off to the St. Thomas Moore School in about 15 minutes and have wifi at the Gulu Cluster headquarters so thought I would take a minute and briefly update you on our trip. I am hoping that I will have wifi access tonight and can say more then.

We attended devotions at the WVU headquarters on Monday morning at 8:00 am and then had a briefing on the work of WVU by one of the staff. Patty MacDonald and I had a meeting with the national leadership about my serving them and that went very well. We had lunch at a restaurant not far away and then headed up to Gulu around 1:00 pm. The ride took about 5 1/2 hours and went well. The group loved it when we crossed the Victoria Nile and saw lots of monkeys and baboons on the side of the road. They took a lot of pictures. On the way we saw to large tractor trailers on the side of the road that had tipped over. There is a lot of commercial traffic traveling on the road from Sudan to Kampala and then to Kenya.

Yesterday was a very moving day for all of us as we met with some of our sponsored children. Altogether we will be visiting 17 sponsored children and we visited 9 at their homes yesterday. Tomorrow we will visit the remainder but the staff will bring the children and parents to the Gulu headquarters bcecause they don't have the manpower and we don't have the time to visit all of them.

As I mentioned earlier, we go to St. Thomas Moore School in a few minutes. We will spend almost the whole day there. In the morning we will be breaking into groups of two to visit classrooms and share with the students for about 45 minutes. The teams are: Charlie and Blake, Cindy and Emily, Patty and Michelle, and Katie and me. I think we will be doing a little work in the morning as well. After lunch is the more formal part of the day with introductions, speeches, presentations, and students sharing traditional tribal dances. We may have a sporting event like soccer or volleyball at the end, depending on our time. After we are finished with the school we will be stopping by the place where women have a business of making beads and the opportunity to buy some.

In the evening we will be eating dinner at the Boma Hotel. A number of people with whom I have gotten to know and love who have left WVU I have invited to dinner and I am really excited about seeing them. Hopefully I will be able to connect to the internet and share with you what happened today. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Phil. Thanks for posting information about your trip to Koro-Bobi Uganda. I read your posts with interest as I sponsor two children in this very community. I would love to chat with you more about your trip there. If you respond to this comment, I should get an email and we can connect further. I have sponsored a child in Koro-Bobi for 8 years and hope to make a trip there in the next year or so.

    Thanks,

    Kris D

    ReplyDelete