Sunday, February 9, 2014

First Full Day

Most of us slept pretty well last night--I didn't get to bed until 1:00 am and I uncharacteristically didn't wake up during the night. Fortunately I awoke at 7:25 am. I say "fortunately" because we were meeting for breakfast at 8:00 and then heading to Watoto Church South at 8:45. For some reason my iPhone didn't adjust to the local time and the alarm didn't go off. But I scrambled to get ready and pack and made it to breakfast only a few minutes late.

Watoto South (Watoto means "children" in Swahili) was about a 45 minute drive from our hotel in Entebbe. It is held in a gigantic tent--they are raising money to construct a permanent building. It was full of young people and had a large praise choir and the electronics were pretty sophisticated. It is the same church at which we worshiped last year and it seems that the technology had been upgraded. It was the shortest worship service that I have attended since coming to Uganda: only 1 hour and 40 minutes. It actually went very quickly and we celebrated communion. I always find participating in communion when I am on a different continent powerful, the reality that we are one in Christ.

After the service we headed for our hotel in Kampala where we checked in and had lunch. We then headed to the place nearby where they have a good exchange rate and changed dollars into Ugandan Shillings. The African Market is nearby and we headed there to purchase some souvenirs and gifts. We will spend the remainder of the evening at the hotel.

Fulukas and Miriam, the founders of Destiny Women, the ministry to sexually exploited girls that Michelle Luhrmann has funded should be arriving in a half hour and will have dinner with us. I am looking forward to seeing them. I was also able to contact by phone several World Vision Uganda staff who have since left the organization and are now working with other NGOs. I am hoping to invite them to dinner sometime this week at the Bomah Hotel where we will be staying in Gulu.

Joan, Charlie, and Steffi are all doing well and looking forward to our trip to Gulu tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment