Wednesday, February 12, 2014

A Day at St. Thomas Moore Senior Secondary School

It’s hard to describe the day we had at the school today. It was overwhelming in a good way. We all need to take a day or two to process what happened today. I thought it might be helpful if you heard from a voice other than me, so Steffi wrote the following:

Today was so humbling, in so many ways. UCC Medfield was honored to the nth degree. Pastor Phil was praised again and again for his dedication to the school in helping the Head Teacher, Alex Todo, accomplish his goal of educating many more students in an otherwise struggling school.

Grace, joy, expectation, transformation, welcoming, praising, and prayerful are all words that come to mind as we witnessed the pride of all those involved in providing a wonderful, awesome environment for its 400 plus students.

My own gift was a chicken given by one of the beautiful girls who sang for us.
(She would like to share more, but wants to spend some time reflecting on the day.)

The school has so transformed that sometimes I felt like I needed to pinch myself to make sure that what I was experiencing was real. The campus looks entirely different, there are far more students, far more female students, and they have solar electric and a gas generator. The World Bank has even become involved. They funded the building of the science building (which they call a Laboratory) and my understanding is that they will also pay for the library. It’s just amazing. 

I would like to share much more about the day, but the internet connection is tenuous tonight (and I am afraid I won’t be able to post this blog), and because it is late and I am exhausted, I intend to blog more fully about the day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment